We’ve already strategized how to pack a women’s fashion bucket, but some of the most rare discounts are elsewhere in the stores. Read on to find out how we packed a bucket full of outdoor and sporting goods for 20% off all of it.
In 2016, Murdoch’s Bucket Sale will take place on Saturday, April 23. Like in past years, our 2016 in-store discount will be:
- 20% off most everything that fits in a Murdoch’s bucket
- 10% off most everything else, including firearms, optics, ammo and reloading components
- Free bucket when you spend $50 or more
- Savings on in-stock merchandise only
- Exclusions include gift cards, CanAm ATVs and UTVs. Additional exclusions may apply. See store for details.
- Bucket may vary.
- Limit one bucket per person.
- While supplies last.
- Clothing and footwear clearance items are an additional 20% off if they fit in the bucket.
The online sale is 20% off most clothing and footwear and 10% off most everything else. It excludes Honda and Ariat. Plus, get an extra 20% off all clearance clothing and footwear. When shopping online, the extra 20% off savings are already applied on each clearance item.
Bucket Packin’ Strategy: Outdoor & Sporting Goods
Do you remember playing Tetris on a Gameboy growing up? Surprise! There actually is a real-life scenario where those building-block skills will be put to good use! Let’s find all of the small, boxy items that fit in a Murdoch’s bucket and start strategizing how to pack them. These tips will help you save!
- If you want to include clothing, start with large items like shirts and shorts at the bottom. They form well to the bucket’s round shape, maximizing volume.
- While we’re talking about clothing, look for high-tech fabrics for two reasons: 1) they perform better outdoors and 2) they are usually thinner, taking up less space in your bucket.
- Just like playing Tetris when you were younger, start piecing together your puzzle of outdoor gear and sporting goods.
- Start with the largest items, filling in spaces with smaller and smaller items.
- Try putting items with clam shell packaging against the wall of the bucket, and pack boxy items against the flat side of the packaging.
- Whenever you can, place items of equal height next to each other, especially the short items. This will create an opportunity to stack a third layer.
- Fill gaps with smaller soft items, like socks or a Buff, or taller tube shapes.
- Fill up the crevices with gear ties and headlamps, or other small items that you lose often.
- The top will be quite uneven – don’t stop there! You can get a third layer in if you wedge larger items into the larger cavities (the cavities you made earlier by packing short items together). We were able to add a growler-sized water bottle, fly case and a gear bag. (The fly case and gear bag were easier because they were soft.)
To make our particular example work, you’ll need to shop in this order:
- Columbia fly fishing shirt
- Kuhl breathable shorts
Larger Items That Fit
- GoPro Hero4 camera
- Frontiersman Bear Spray
- 2 Yeti Ice
- Leatherman Wave
- Yeti rod holster
- Buck Knife
Smaller Items For Filler
- Nite Ize headlamp
- Gear Ties
- Dry Bag
Good Items For Top Tier
- Hydroflask growler
- Yeti sidekick
- 30″ Murdoch’s Gear Bag
- Retail Price for the entire bucket: $954.87
- Bucket Sale price for the entire bucket: $763.90
- Savings: $190.97 (plus a free bucket)
Outdoor Goods: Start Strategizing